eHorseracing.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > eHorseracing.com Powered Horse Racing Boards > The Backside
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Look of Eagles - a Farm Diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bizalls View Drop Down
Stakes Winner
Stakes Winner

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 1.90
  Quote bizalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 2:39pm
It didn't make any sense to put that Tapit mare at risk like that.
waremblem5 View Drop Down
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

MBP : 152.40
  Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:13pm
Where I put the mare is my choice, I bought the mare and the implied first breeding to her. To sell the mare and then sneak thief around and steal the breeding is just underhanded tactics. Is it illegal? Clearly not since it happened. But it's really, really bad form.
Author of The Third Bride, Breeder of Horses, Painter of Miniature Armies
kyogle View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

MBP : 331.60
  Quote kyogle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:58pm
Congrats on the win of Fleur du Mal

You asked for opinions, so here's my 2 cents. There is no added prestige in winning a second 'minor' Graded race (sort of like IRL, where it doesn't add much to the broodmare value), but winning a G1 takes a very good horse and elevates it to the elite. Also, pick up a couple more G2 or G3 trophies and you may be left forever wondering. Fall a bit short in a G1 or two, and at least you have your answer. Guess you know where I'd be heading.

On the other subject, while I understand your frustration, the player you attacked has done nothing wrong. You had three months to breed the mare after you retired her, and you have first dibs in January for the next 15 years. The rules can't be more clear. While I doubt you're seeking advice, when I buy an expensive mare for breeding purposes, she stays on the farm (sometimes for a year or more), until I am ready to use her.
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:45pm
Thanks for your thoughts on Fleur du Mal. There are four races I'm looking at, I'm sure I'll swing back and forth over the next few weeks.

I'm not going to respond to every statement concerning the Tapit mare so this is my last word on it. I didn't attack anyone. My horse was stolen and I'm pointing that out. If you want to sell your horse at auction (or put it in claims) don't sneak around looking for a loophole to steal that horse back. Nothing anyone says is going to change my mind or how I feel about this. To take $5 million for a horse and then backdoor your way into the breeding is really low. If other players want to engage in like practices that is of course their choice. This is never anything I would do because I respect the implied transaction which took place. This is why I titled the section etiquette and not rules. I am well aware of the breeding timelines, this has never come up before which is why I am, frankly, astonished by it. That said, I will be breeding this mare every January to a 10 BP sire to ensure she is never used or productive. That should give you some idea how irritated I am over this.
lenny271 View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner
Empire of Evil

MBP : 96.20
  Quote lenny271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 9:36am
Originally posted by waremblem5

I'm not going to respond to every statement concerning the Tapit mare so this is my last word on it. I didn't attack anyone. My horse was stolen and I'm pointing that out. If you want to sell your horse at auction (or put it in claims) don't sneak around looking for a loophole to steal that horse back. Nothing anyone says is going to change my mind or how I feel about this. To take $5 million for a horse and then backdoor your way into the breeding is really low. If other players want to engage in like practices that is of course their choice. This is never anything I would do because I respect the implied transaction which took place. This is why I titled the section etiquette and not rules. I am well aware of the breeding timelines, this has never come up before which is why I am, frankly, astonished by it. That said, I will be breeding this mare every January to a 10 BP sire to ensure she is never used or productive. That should give you some idea how irritated I am over this.

Ahem. This is how Super was born and how most of the GRS Dominance was started. Where have you been?
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 9:41am
Inaccurate. I'm not talking about shared or unused mares, I am talking about the prime first breeding. Further, it makes little sense to cite examples from two decades ago about things, especially when restrictions have since been put in place to prevent even that such as expanding the time when mares were protected and greatly raising the cost to use abandoned mares. Finally, sinking massive amounts of capital into breeding was how Super and GRS were started not poaching first breed mares and sending them to 4th rate sires. I understand that when you have 40 Tapit mares it's a rather abstract non-issue.
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 4:00pm
In any event, I'm sorry if that sounded persnickety Ryan. I've no desire to quarrel with anyone over this. I'll just chalk it up as a $5,000,000 learning experience. At least it wasn't real dollars.
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 9:35pm
Battles in Kentucky and Winterfell

I don't have the energy to update you upon the man disappointing results I've recently encountered. The details are long, grisly and carry an NC17 rating. Sometimes I wonder; doesn't the SIM ever get sick of this relentless punishment and disappointment? What is this the Ramsey Bolton carnival of misfit toys? Hillary Clinton hung my most painful loss of 2019 on me as she ran a 117 at 10 furlongs on the turf which somehow came back as a third-place finish. Look, I get that it was probably a grueling November 2016 but there is no reason to put revisit past failures upon me, Hillary!

Luckily April is arguably the best month of the year so there are a plethora of distractions from poor tote board results. I was witness to the greatest sports comeback story I've ever witnessed with Tiger's triumph at the Masters which serves a case study for the Churchill quote, never ever, ever, ever give up. (which incidentally works well when dealing with racing horses as well) I had my first significant classic effort, the Kentucky Derby is barely a stone's throw away and of course, Game of Thrones has returned for its final hurrah. Murmaider who came up just a little short, ran 2nd in the German 1000 Guineas. The young filly by Constitution has had an improbable rise to success and now can say she was classic-placed. Well done young lady.

Kentucky Derby

After much consideration, I have chosen my Derby horse. I've picked the last two Derby winners so I'm on something of a hot streak and I feel somewhat confident with my pick this year in a wide open field. I am throwing my support behind Tacitus. Despite intense scrutiny, I cannot find anything wrong with the colt. He has lost only one race, he is a two time GSW who enters the Derby on a two-race winning streak, he set an NSR in the Tampa Bay Derby and was hit hard in the Wood, shrugged it off an carried. This tells me he has the toughness and resolve needed to navigate his way through the
Derby chaos. His name is noble and worthy of a champion, his sire is the legendary Tapit, his mother is a 6 time G1 winner, his female family traces back to Best in Show who is also in the family of Rags to Riches, one of my favorite horses. Tacitus is a pleasing deep gray color he is the most precocious Tapit colt I can recall he is improving and likely will be taking another step forward come Derby day. All these factors help contribute to elevating him to the top for me.

Now that the winner has been selected, how will the rest of the race unfold? Allow me to throw down one qualifier - if it rains Derby Day then Omaha Beach will win. The race will unfold almost identically to the Smarty Jones Derby with Omaha playing Smarty and Maximum Security playing the role of Lion Heart. Assuming it doesn't rain - I expect favorite Omaha Beach to have a contested lead through a typically blazing Derby half-mile. Yes, Omaha Beach has tactical speed and doesn't need the lead, but he will have to put away two very good and very fast horses in Improbable and Maximum Security. Two-year-old champion Game Winner is a toss for me. He is this year's Bolt d'Oro; didn't improve as a 3yo, makes excuses for needing longer races when in reality he just isn't that fast and won't be improving in Kentucky. I doubt Game Winner ever wins another graded stake. I actually don't even have him in contention, he tired in the Santa Anita Derby and will lose ground again in Kentucky, he will run into the proverbial wall coming for home in the eight-wide rush and fade back finishing 12th or worse. Roadster is dangerous but I expect that Tactitus will pass him in the deep stretch. Of the longshots, I feel Spinoff looks and feels like a Derby horse and will run his best race which should be good enough for a top 5 finish.

For the Bluegrass Derby, I was going to go for the Tapit exacta and take Above Threshold, but front runners are a perilous proposition in SIM graded racing so I'll go with Arrogate son The Glaive. The throwback reference to Krull is too hard to pass up.       

Game of Thrones

After two prelude episodes featuring reunions and goodbyes, the Battle of Winterfell is upon us. A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms was the show giving fans a chance to say goodbye to the characters as we are about to witness the largest battle ever portrayed in visual media. So who will live and who is going to die? I'm going to take a look at the characters in order from most likely to die to least.

100% - Theon, Beric and Jorah. I'm certain both their stories end this Sunday. Theon comes full circle and dies in the Weirwood defending Bran. All the time wasted on Theon over the years has had something of an emotional payoff here at the end. Jorah falls when the center breaks. There is no need to carry Beric forward.

Speaking of dispositions, we know the combined Stark/Targaryen army is drawn up into 3 wings. Brienne (and Jamie) has the left wing which I assume is the Knights of the Vale and any other mounted Westeros Knights. It would make sense to have their other mounted force, the 16,000 Dothraki on the right wing. The center would be the Unsullied along with any footsoldiers and archer from Winterfell and the Stark bannermen. Greyworm and Jorah likely will be in the center.

0% - Daenerys, Jon, Sansa, Arya, Brienne, Tyrion, the Hound. I don't think any of the remaining 'main' characters will die Sunday. Some may die later one, but not this week. Because Jon is an idiot and he told Dany in the worst way possible on the eve of battle that he is Aegon Stark/Targaryen there is the slightest chance Dany lets Jon die but that takes the series in a whole other direction for surely Sansa and Arya would turn on Dany. I remain convinced that all these maybe Dany will go evil hints are a ruse and they aren't going down that road, but there is a chance. The Hound survives because he has to face his brother yet, and he is the ultimate survivor. I don't see them knighting Brienne then killing her.

50% - Jamie, Tormund, Bran, Davos, Sam, a bunch of that guys. I feel Jamie is going to die just not sure if it's here or later. Jamie is incredibly brave and impetuous in battle - the ideal Knight and I can see him falling doing something vital. Bran kept quiet about Jamie pushing him out of the tower because he knew Sansa would not forgive that and would have had Jamie executed so Bran must have seen something in the future where Jamie plays a role - he does, however, tell Jamie why do you think there is a next either ensuring all die (which I doubt it) or Jamie does. Sam gave away his sword and fulfilled his role of Aegon messenger so he is no longer needed. Bran could die, despite them saying they need a 3 eyed raven because let's face it, no one but book nerds know or care what a 3 eyed raven is and the conversation not shown between him and Tyrion could allow virtually anything to transpire. They made a heavy-handed point of showing how bad Tyrion has been as an advisor so I'm certain he has one last great (and successful) idea in him. Davos really isn't needed any longer and every scene Tormund is in serves only as comic relief at this stage.   If Tormund does survive this battle then he is home free.
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 4:19pm
Todd Survives the Battle of Winterfell and gets a G1 Winner

Extensive Game of Thrones spoilers to follow so if you haven't watched episode 70, The Long Night, and plan to do so I'd skip most of this entry.

Sunday was a date of reckoning for many GoT fans. The two episode build up of reunions and goodbyes had everyone nervous heading into the Battle of Winterfell. We were left wondering, how many of these characters that we've grown to know over the last decade will end up dead in the snow? As it turns out, not that many. GoT seems to have taken the get known as an early riser and you never have to get up early again approach to close out the series. In their case, kill main characters early and often then you don't have to do it the last four years yet still feel like an edgy show. I don't feel there is anything wrong with this - I think killing MCs is a deceptive way to toy with your audience. But let's just be honest with where we are as a show now.

Before diving into that, I was in a euphoric mood heading toward the Battle as I locked down my first G1 winner in 2019. Ragnarokkr won the 10f Group One event in South Africa posting a 115 SP while winning by 3. 4yo City Zip son was victorious in his first graded effort, and with only 13 starts under his bridle hope abounds for further trophy hunting this season. I have to say, getting that G1 win in a season is a tremendous, liberating feeling. In many ways, it validates what you are doing and stamps the entire year as a success. It gives you a horse where can plan out an actual campaign and start pointing toward races. One horse blots out any and all disappointment in others. Ragnarokkr finally gives me a shot to win the Arlington Million, which he will try to do this August. He'll make one other G1 stab in the meantime looking at either The NY Island Cap, The Prince of Whales or the Eclipsed. It's a shame that City Zip has passed on, I bred two City Zip x Curlins and both were stakes winners. I might revisit this with Improbable if he manages to win some races this year.

You have to give it up for my power of prognostication; last week I predicted that Jorah, Theon, and Beric had a 0% chance to survive the Battle of Winterfell and all of them did indeed die. It was a bit surprising that these were the only characters of note who perished. Yes, Edd died but most people don't even know his name and Lyanna Morment had a great death but her character was never more than a cute little northern spitfire. I'm going to assign grades for the survivors in ascending order.

F: War Council Strategy - The "strategy" to throw away your entire cavalry in the first 10 minutes of battle after spending the last 6 years winning them over and bringing them to Westeros has to rank right up there with all-time colossal military blunders. Anyone with even the slightest understanding of Medieval or Ancient warfare knows you do not lead with your cavalry. Cavalry is a shock force mean to rout disordered or engaged troops not to be used as a first strike weapon sent off into the dark against an unseen, unknown enemy. Jon has already demonstrated he is the worst battlefield commander in Westeros, but this attack could not have been ordered by him, this was Daenerys' bloodriders, her people, she was the Khaleesi of the great grass sea and Jorah led the attack. D had to have signed off on this disaster. Strategy SNAFU #2 was the disposition of their indirect fire artillery. They place their catapults and trebuchets in FRONT of their infantry which ensures it will be over-run instead of behind the blocks of spearmen where it could have maintained a rate of fire throughout the engagement. This ties directly into strategy screw up #3 - Daenerys and Jon pulled off the worst use of dragons in the history of draconic combat. It was like Jeff Fischer was in charge of their offense. All D&J had to do was hoover in front of the spearman flaming wave after wave of advancing wights while the artillery pounded the oncoming ranks. Eventually, the Night King would have been forced to engage them in a 2 on 1 contest they could have easily won. Most of their rank and file would have survived and the battle would have been fairly easy. Granted this wouldn't make for tense viewing but it annoys me so little tactical thought went into what was essentially the battle for the fate of humanity.

D: Jon Stark/Targaryen, Bran, The Hound - I'm over the I'm scared of fire and just call it quits act that Sandor pulls. How many times is this scene going to play itself out? Can we be done with it already? I really disliked Jon early in the show finding him overly whiny and vapid. He became somewhat great for two seasons until his continual series of cover your eyes awful command decisions almost make him a caricature of a Monty Python Knight. In this episode, he did virtually nothing. The dragon fight was confusing because they shot everything so dark and blurry that it was difficult to tell what was happening (maybe a choice to stimulate fog of war or battlefield chaos) so it took me a rewatch to determine that it was Drogon and Dany who knocked the Night King out of the air and (temporarily) disabled undead V. Jon then crash lands his dragon, abandons his Queen/Aunt/Lover, leaves Sam to die, and still can't find the Godswood before his younger sister. I really want to like Jon but they make it so difficult. I really hope there was some point to Bran worging into those Ravens because it sure seemed like a pointless joy ride. Bran's lack of impact in any nature other than bait (and really that didn't even work) was highly disappointing.

C: Sansa, Tyrion, Sam, Tormund, Davos - In a combat heavy (exclusive) episode, non-combantants aren't going to have a lot to do. Sam did his best but mostly just bumbled around. I sort of wanted Sansa to give an improved version of the speech Cersei gave at Blackwater. I was extremely nervous when she pulled out that dagger and looked at Tyrion. For a moment I thought they were going to commit suicide to avoid being turned into wights. Tormund really just had generic sword swings nothing like his heat-butt I won't be defeated struggle in the Bastards Battle. Davos seemed more concerned with executing Mellesandra than with doing much. His main job I guess was to light the trench which he failed to do. He does get some credit for making sure the walls were manned.   

B: Jaime, Brienne, Daenerys, Beric - Jaime and Brienne fought in the front line and at the top of the walls. Nothing amazing but steady consistent work. Dany did her best and her most significant achievement was winning the audience back to her side. She was really committed to this battle, saved Jon twice (in the air and on the ground), had the drop on the Night King only to find dragonfire doesn't kill him. She did the best she could and likely earned a measure of respect from the Northerners. I dock her a grade for her role in the Dothraki fiasco. Beric, we find, was brought back all those times to keep Arya alive. Final battle couldn't have been won without his sacrifice.

A: Lyanna, Grey Worm, Mellesandra - Lyanna had an amazing death scene charging the Giant and killing him with her dying blow. Grey Worm, for the first time, really displayed his tactical proficiency. I loved his point of view during the early stages of the battle. He was an able leader covering the retreat back to Winterfell, then disengaging to get a view of the struggle, deciding the trench needed to be lit and when it couldn't be, improvised and brought Mellesandra up to the front. M had one of the best scenes as she knelt in front of the trench praying, hoping, willing the Lord of Light to infuse it with fire. Awesome stuff. She then acts as Phil Jackson to Jordan when she rallies Arya and gameplans what the young assassin needs to do. Absolutely vital, the battle could not have been won without her.

A+: Jorah, Arya, and Theon - Jorah fought like a great golden Nordic god. First, he led the ill-fated charge like Pickett going up Cemetary Ridge, then he is part of the group which holds back the wights while M lights the trench. He then mans the walls until Dany is surrounded when he rushes to her aid and starts swinging Heartsbane around like he is Conan unleashed. Jorah gives everything he had to defend his Khaleesi and is the most significant death among the allies. Theon has a similar scene where he completes his character arc in redeeming himself to the Starks in general and Bran in particular. I was drawn into the rapid-fire archery circle and when the combat devolved into a brutal hand-to-hand affair Theon left an extensive circle of bodies around him. Even though his charge had no chance of success, he was, as Bran said, a good man. And of course, the star of the episode was Arya. A favorite character of many early in the show, Arya sort of lost her way the last two seasons and this year has gone a long way toward redeeming her character. I didn't think there was anything for the writer's to do with Arya this season and wow was I wrong! Spectacular stuff and major props the show writers for all the groundwork they laid for this payoff. Mellesandra tells Arya when they met years ago she will kill blue eyes, Arya does the switch hand dagger move when fighting against Brienne, Bran says she will need the dagger, Beric being brought to life for the moment when he would save Arya. Bringing all that together was masterful storytelling.

Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:09pm
The SIM Silences Todd and Daenerys Silences King's Landing

I have been known to complain about certain elements in the SIM from time to time. Disappointment and frustration sometimes boil over (I'm looking at you over there Miss Dragon Queen) and I haven't been shy with sharing that with you over the years. Over a decade ago when I was playing my go-to phrase would be, "That's fake". Well, after winning two G1s in the span of three weeks I'll just officially shut up for the rest of the year. I haven't won multiple G1s in a calendar year since I returned to the SIM so this was a significant achievement for me. Joining Ragnarokkr is Rogue Won who was victorious in the Locksmith this weekend winning the mile race with a 118 SP and defeating a field that included 5 G1 winners. Strong in the force (and named after the best Star Wars movie), Rogue Won is a rare (for me) scratch bred and I really can't tell you my last scratch bred G1 winner. He is the first graded winner of any kind for his sire Dundeel. This could be the start of something for Dundeel in the SIM as his stud fee has risen at Arrowfield up to $66K and he has sired 3 Group One winners IRL from his early (I believe two) classes. Arrowfield (where Snitzel and Not a Single Doubt also stand) has a marvelous website and I'd recommend interested breeders in checking them out as it has a wealth of sire information along with some fun bells and whistles. One of the best stallion farm websites out there. I selected Woodman for Rogue One's DS. He is a Mr. P option I often prefer when setting up a turf breeding that could benefit from some Raise a Native. Invincible Spirit is the DDS and I feel like he really provided some juice in the "kicker" position. IRL he is a mile siring master and he helped put together a classy one here. Unlike Ragnarokkr who doesn't have a BB race to point toward, Rogue Won has visions of the BB Mile on the horizon and so I will attempt to bring him there in good form. I am leaning toward going the historical route and trying the Frankel double-double by heading to the Queen Sam next. Rogue Won is 2/2 on yielding turf running a 118 both times and the Queen Sam in a month has a 25% chance of rain.

I didn't write anything last week because honestly, the DQ fiasco in the Kentucky Derby left me feeling about as low as I ever have about horse racing. Three self-righteous stewards who didn't see enough to put up the inquiry light but then went ahead and changed history ruined the Triple Crown and left me feeling like I wasted a bunch of time following all the preps. I don't even know who is running in the Preakness and I can't imagine how irate NBC is at Churchill Downs right now. I'll tune in for the Belmont to see if another Tapit in Tacitus can win and I really hope someone like Bernardini or Arrogate rises up this summer to save the 3yo racing season. That's a long way of saying I didn't have time to give recognition to The Third Bride who won the G3 Miss Stallion last week, a six-furlong dirt sprint. The Third Bride becomes the 5th graded winner for the hall of fame mare Mother of Dragons. I am so honored and privileged to be part of her legendary legacy. Mother of Dragons has produced graded winners from A.P. Indy (twice), Ghostzapper, Medaglia d'Oro and, Tapit. I will give The Third Bride some time off and take my shot at the summer sprint G1s in New York and see if she is good enough.   

And so, you know where the Mother of Dragons segue is going, and Game of Thrones SPOILERS to follow (seriously don't read if you aren't up to date this is series changing)......so here we go. First, before freaking out and trashing the show everyone should go and watch the Behind the Throne segment for The Bells. They literally build King's Landing in a Belfast parking lot so they could burn it down. The time and work thousands of people spend on this show are incredible. People who say the show is trash are doing a disservice to the amount of effort that goes into making this amazing television. I feel many people's instant takes are unfairly harsh and bleak toward the show which has given us viewers so much. I understand the shock and frustration, but I sincerely believe that when all the fan hysteria has subsided in 5 years The Bells will be looked back upon as a work of monumental significance, maybe even genius, and I feel that it is one of the best episodes in the series.

I won't get into all the many instances where Daenerys has already demonstrated how she feels about justice. It was well covered over the years. Re-watch Hardholme when she first meets Tyrion that episode fits in so seamlessly with The Bells. I hear the argument that they didn't do enough to show Dany making her choice and if only there was something we saw that pushed her over the edge. Were there not numerous things?

1. Cersei pledged to support her in the North then betrayed her promise
2. She lost her primary advisor in Jorah who was not only her best advisor but also her most loyal
3. Jon, the person who she loves most in the world (we have to take her word for that even if they never fully got there on screen), recoils from her touch now. Maybe if Jon has better girlfriend skills Dany doesn't feel so isolated and alone.
4. Her best friend is executed in front of her
5. She loses her second dragon
6. Her Hand is on the worst losing streak since the 0-16 Detroit Lions
7. When the City has fallen, she sees the Red Keep where her family was butchered and the throne was stolen from them. This was the trigger after all these events had built up and it doesn't take much for armies sacking a city to fall into bloodlust.

In history, when the Mongols advanced upon a city they erect a white tent, a red tent or a black tent. The white tent meant if you surrendered the city would not be sacked. The red tent meant if you surrendered all the male inhabitants would be slain. The black tent meant there was no surrender and the entire city would be destroyed. Cersei, always an amateurish plotter and even told so by her father, brought the black tent upon herself and King's Landing. The sacking of cities is ugly. History is full of examples - Caesar, Alexander, Napoleon, the US over Dresden (which the making of show references they were trying to replicate). The Lannister army did the same thing to King's Landing under the Targaryens. This is what happens in war and I understand that now everyone will gang up on Dany and Batman Arya will kill her but I feel the show took a bold fantasy trope destroying approach in The Bells. You may hate what Dany did but it was both in character and closely aligns with happens in actual history.

In Hardholme, Dany tells Tyrion that the people (of the 7 Kingdoms) will love her. They didn't. She saved the North and still they loved Jon, not her. She references Meereen when talking to Tyrion where the slaves rose up against their masters and then worshiped her. Daenerys needs the love and adoration of people and when she didn't get that, from the North, from Jon or from the people of King's Landing she resorted to Fire and Blood - and that was always going to be a possibility. I feel so sorry for Daenerys, I really do. I can't believe they are going to kill her next week and that will be her story. Varys knew Dany was close to destroying King's Landing, he tells Jon we know what she is going to do when they talk on the beach and Jon replies she is Queen I will support what she does. Tyrion has known for two episodes Dany could destroy King's Landing and none of them do anything about it. None of them try to reach her. Jon does his usual she the Queen routine which allows him to hide behind loyalty and never make a decision. Varys tries to poison Dany and sends Ravens across the land pumping up Jon. Tyrion's 'big plan' is to commit treachery and try to help Dany's greatest enemy escape. Daenerys deserved better.

Finally, I love what the show did with Drogon. Almost every fan I know thinks of dragons as cute plush dolls. The Bells revealed them as the "terrible lizards" they actually are. Remember the shot of Harrenhall destroyed by dragon fire? The audience became far too comfortable with Dracarys for those who they didn't like. The full awe-inspiring might of a dragon was on display in The Bells and it was both terrifying and thought-provoking for the audience. Should anyone have this great of power? Daenerys is going to go down as one of the greatest tragic figures in literature and that was a story worth telling, regardless if it breaks your heart in the process.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>