eHorseracing.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > eHorseracing.com Powered Horse Racing Boards > The Backside
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Look of Eagles - a Farm Diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
waremblem5 View Drop Down
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 164.00
  Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Look of Eagles - a Farm Diary
    Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 4:57pm
Back when people used to get magazines one of my favorite articles in the Bloodhorse was Merryland, which was a diary of sorts about a small horse farm in Maryland that would come out about once a month. The story was really immersive and it covered the ups and downs of farm management both breeding and racing. I am going to attempt to do something like that here about my SIM horses covering both racing and breeding.

April 2-3 Racing

Waremblem5 stables (in the old SIM you could name your group and I used to be Winterfell Racing, but since Game of Thrones has come to HBO and the popularity of Westros has exploded I wouldn't use that now even if we could name our farm group. I am thinking of going with Ravenloft Range now) went 6/45 in races this weekend. A pretty horrible result considering only 8 of those races were at odds higher than 10/1. I used to aim for about a 22-27 win % but it seems now a 10-14% is a more realistic goal. I don't run in HOT races so I don't have easy stat padding. By the odds my horses are well placed, they just aren't winning and we will have to weather this bad stretch.

This was the first weekend I debuted 2yos, mainly because of a series of GR Simster residency 2yo races. Our residency ran 5f dirt and turf races for colts and fillies. I did fair in those races, running a 4th and a 3rd with two cover your eyes starts. Overall I stared 11 2yos this weekend and had 2 wins. 9 of the 11 horses did finish top 5 and pick up a check and sadly the two that didn't were in the residency events! My winners were Vikander , a daughter of Kendargent out of a Galileo mare, named after the Oscar winning actress and Stormsinger a son of freshman Sire and Cartier Sprint Champion Muhaarar, the first runner from the mare Dancing with Miley, a daughter of Excelebration. I was pretty pleased with these 2yo debuts, only two horses ran in the 50s, the biggest disappointment being the filly Brilliant Magic, a Dream Ahead x Danehill breeding. This was the first time champion sprinter Dream Ahead had seen Danehill in the SIM so I was expecting a bit more from her.

We had a fairly large stakes group this weekend with 3 open stakes runners, 3 G3 runners and 2 G1 runners.

At 15/1 I was taking a chance with All Hallows Evil coming off a NW2L win I sent this 3yo son of Holy Roman Emperor in a 7.5f turf stakes. I actually improved 10 points and ran a 99 but still finished 7th. Possibly something to build on.

Lansquenet, a 3yo daughter of Kendargent, was similiar, she was coming off a 2x win and went into her 7f turf stakes at 7/1. She ran 4th with a 94, an improvement of 5 points.

Our sole SW for the week was Leroy Brown, a 7 year old veteran son of Awesome Again won a 6.5f turf stakes at odds of 7/2. He is closing in on a career 500K mark as this win pushes him to 445K in earnings. With 10 wins in 23 career starts this was his 2nd SW and was run at 108.

Coming off 3 straight wins, I took a shot with My Jukebox Hero in the Eviscerator Stakes. I was 12/1 and ran worse than that with a 104, though with a winning time of 120 I had no chance to win the race. My promising 3yo colt Falkenhayna SW son of Charm Spirit was 15/1 in the G3 Dracula Stakes in Kentucy. He ran a career high 99 which I would have thought good enough to win, though here it was only good for 5th as the winner ran a 106. I spent 7 weeks prepping for this race so this torpedoes my chances of getting into the 2000 Guineas. However the biggest disappointment was Witch Noir the 6/1 favorite in the G3 Penelope Cruz stakes. Coming off a 102 win in a 9.5f Stakes on the turf I expected to at least run top 3 at 10.5f here. This race was even run in normal time with the winner getting a 100, but I regressed to a 94 SF and ran 5th. This was another 7 week prep so a lot of time invested in a disappointing result. It also leaves lots of unanswered questions, was 10.5 too far? Was the 7 week prep too long? Did I get a bad trip?

In G1 action, my Tiznow daughter Valkyrie Buffy was 25/1 in the Desert Ladies Stayer. I didn't expect much and she finished 11th out of 14 but she had won her last two races at 13f by 5 and 4 lengths so you don't know if you don't run. Johnny Cleveland ran 6th in the South Australian Cup. He was 12/1 coming off a 4 length win in a 16f turf 4x so I thought he might be a live chance here. This 4yo only has 15 starts so he might have an interesting 2016 season lined up.

Not much to report in allowances but a lot of losses. I had two horses claimed, the very cool named I am Spartacus and Malus Darkblade. I am Spartacus made 31 starts for us and had 9 wins, mostly at the claming level. He was good in claims but could not win in starter allowances. Malus made 37 starts for us and made over 250K, however after the nerf to Tiznow I didn't want to invest 400 credits in breeding to him.

Breeding

One breeding this weekend, a filly High Fantasy, a Dark Angel x New Approach x Fusaichi Pegasus breeding. I did invest the 400 credits in the he-mare With Flying Colors who was a nice winner of over 300K at the SA level and who once won 7 of 8 races. I liked the crosses though and felt the investment was worth it. I also picked up two shares of Verrazano this weekend, credits for 322 and BPs for 198. Verrazano had a nice number of SW his first year and I am a big fan of his sire More than Ready. I bred 4 Verrazano's last year with limited success so I'm going to give it another try this year as he was pretty cheap.

Now...time to enter some horses
lenny271 View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner
Empire of Evil

MBP : 96.30
  Quote lenny271 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 7:33pm
Great stuff Toddler! You should reach out to Tracy/BTB and get this published so folks can see it from the home page. Looking forward to the next installment....hopefully with better %'s...
nextbonus View Drop Down
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MBP : 130.00
  Quote nextbonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:48pm
Loved it. Thanks for sharing.
Home of 2019 2000 Guineas Champion Kennedy Camelot
cadet View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner
1000% right

MBP : 89.30
  Quote cadet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 10:51pm
You GRS folk and your mushiness... I hope your 14% wins you equinics gold or I'll be telling my grand kids about the time lenny, given and war emblem has a few good years. 😃
Enjoys Saratoga in August
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 4:12pm
I decided to post the diary here Ryan so I could update it more frequently.

Guinea's Week Racing

Had a relatively mild week of racing with 7 runners and 2 winners with all but one horse hitting the board. The highlight was maiden winner Hathera a 3yo daughter of The Factor. She ran a 97 SF (yes the high SF sometimes do favor me as well) in a 7f maiden race. She is out of my much hoped for Afleet Alex mare Preakness Legend. I mean with that name things were expected right? She got one of those old Sunday Breedings and has a monster back end of Alydar x Buckpasser. Preakness Legend was a flop on the race track but this gives me some hope for her as a broodmare.

The big news racing wise was our Dream Ahead filly Versailles Dreams drew into the 1000 Guineas. I have only recently begun breeding extensively for the turf as there seem to be many more good turf sires than dirt ones so this will actually be only my 2nd entry into this Classic race. My first runner was millionaire Neuschwanstein who had perhaps the most brilliant start to her career of all my runners. She won her first 6 races, five of those being stakes races. She ended up running 4th in the 2007 1000 Guineas. Versailles Dreams is coming off a stakes win at a mile, so she certainly will like the distance. The oddsmakers aren't thrilled with her at 15/1 but she only has 5 career starts the lowest of any in the field so she can move forward off her last 95 SF.

Breeding

Sire Cards - I turned in 112 cards this week. I got 3 E Cards, 21 F Cards and the rest G.

Retirement - I retired the 4yo mare Queen Estee this week. She is the prime example of the most annoying type of horse you can get - broke her maiden in her 2nd start then only won one more race her whole career. She couldn't win at the 17,500 Claim level so I decided to hang it up and maybe breed to her someday since her mom has now produced a G2 winner. She is Tale of Ekati x AP Indy x Woodman

Breeding shares - I picked up the following shares this week:

Golden Horn - 839 Credits (splurge!)
Pioneerof the Nile - 507 BPs
Honor Code - 459 BPs
Super Saver - 358 BPs
Dream Ahead - 140 Credits (Guineas entry reward)

Horse Breeding -

In a full 2yo class when I am focused on the game I usually have 70 to 100 2yos. These breedings bring me up to 25 2yos and probably completes my 'early' phase of those debuting from April to Derby Day. The next set will be those who have more routing aspirations and will be debuted between mid-May and June where they can go from a 6.5f or 7f race to a Mile. All five of these breedings came up fillies.

Buffy Be Good - Will Take Charge x Storm Cat x Mr. Prospector (250K mare)
Rebel Empress - Dream Ahead x Smart Strike x Sadler's Wells (SW mare)
Space Barbie - Pioneerof the Nile x Malibu Moon x Storm Cat (SW mare)
Themyscira - Tale of Ekati x Tiznow x Forty Niner (G1 mare, G1 producer)
Violet Grey - Verrazano x Sadler's Wells x Secretariat

Notes - Space Barbie and Rebel Empress will be the first runners out of SW mares Succubus Barbie and Farseer Queen respectively. Will Take Charge is getting a monster pedigree to work with in Sarah Michelle. Themyscira is out of one of my all time great horses Bush Wins Again. A G1 winner herself, she has also produced a G1 runner by Bluegrass Cat and a 250K runner out of Storm Cat. I sent her to Stormy Atlantic last year and didn't have much luck. Gonna try out the Storm Cat line one more time here.
bizalls View Drop Down
Stakes Winner
Stakes Winner

MBP : 2.00
  Quote bizalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 7:59pm
I like the diary...keep em coming.
kyogle View Drop Down
Triple Crown Winner
Triple Crown Winner

MBP : 348.40
  Quote kyogle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 10:50pm
I'm also enjoying the diary. Always like to read about the 'everyday' activities of other players
trooper7 View Drop Down
Stakes Winner
Stakes Winner

MBP : 6.90
  Quote trooper7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 7:03pm
I like it.
I always thought about doing this. I'm glad someone's up to the task. Interesting read.

Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2016 at 4:13pm
April 9-10 Racing

Despite a no show in the 1000 Guineas we had a splendid weekend of racing going 11/38 with 3 stakes wins, all by 3yos. 31/38 races were run at odds of less than 10/1, though two stakes wins came at greater than 10/1 odds. Total stakes runners for the week were 1 G1, 1 G3 and 5 open stakes.

Both graded runners were 3yo fillies and both ran poorly. Versailles Dreams never was in the 1000 Guineas and finished 12th. I felt a win was a long shot but was hoping for a better performance than this. I was hoping for a 2nd-5th and was going to use that as a springboard to the French 1000 Guineas in a month, however after this flop I will have to reconsider, perhaps pointing her to the GR Simsters 1000 Guineas instead. Chanel Oberlin ran in the G3 Grotto in Paris which is the prep for the French 1000 Guineas. She didn't fare much better running 9th though in all fairness this was an ambitious placement for her. I figured I could run top 3 possibly and get the points needed for the French 2000 Guineas if Versailles Dreams didn't fire. As you can see I really wanted to win the French 2000 Guineas but my fillies did not cooperate with my plan. Chanel is by Scat Daddy and while I pretty much know Versailles Dreams is a turf miler (she was 3/3 at the distance), I still may have not nailed down the surface/distance that fits Chanel best. Also disappointing this week was True Night, a 9/5 favorite in a 7f turf stakes. He finished 4th with very little effort or improvement. Fortunately other horses stepped up.

While not a winner, 4yo filly Saoirse ran 2nd in her stakes debut, a 9.5f turf race. She posted a 107 SF and this daughter of Dubawi could be primed for a successful 4yo season.

Blood Red Roses won her first stakes race at 11/1 odds with a dazzling 107 SF at 9f on the turf. This 3yo filly was the first ever horse by Loup Breton in the SIM and is his first stakes winner. She beat a legit field that had five stakes winners in it. Her last race out in a 8.5f stakes she ran 2nd with a 93 SF, so she made a huge jump in speed for this race going up to 9. Difficult decisions abound with Blood Red Roses now, do we set our focus on 9-10 furlong races or do we attempt 12f and a shot at the English Oaks? Her dam, Hester St. (Sadler's Wells x Rainbow Quest) was a 9-10f stakes winner.

My mare The White Witch figured prominently into my other two stakes winners this week. She had moderate success on the track winning one stakes at 8.5f on the dirt but her pedigree was built to be a broodmare (Kingmambo x Alydar x Northern Dancer).Queen Anne's War became the 4th stakes winner from The White Witch. The 3yo daughter of Declaration of War won a 9f dirt stakes posting a 105 SF. This was the first stakes win of her career and comes after finishing 3rd last time out in an open stakes at 8.5f. She was 6/1 in the race and showed excellent improvement with the extra half furlong. We don't have the points to get Queen Anne's War into the KY Oaks so she will likely be pointed to the Black Eyed Susan. One of the White Witches other stakes winners was Elizabeth Gloriana, a daughter of Theatrical who made over 500K on the track. Her daughter Grand Rite a 3yo filly by Cape Cross won a 10f turf stakes in front running fashion at 11/1 odds. Elizabeth Gloriana won the GR Simsters 1000 Guineas in 2010 so we'll have to make some decisions with Grand Rite on whether to push on to 12 or stay around the 10f area. We have a strong collection of turf filly routers that I hope will continue to progress as the year goes on.

Among the highlights in allowance races was Breeder's Cup Marathon runner Lord of Battles coming off the farm to a 15 1/2 length victory in a 16f allowance. It's pretty rare to win a race by that margin (he beat the last place horse by 72 lengths) so hopefully he will come around into stakes form for another shot at the BC Marathon in the fall. If not this son of Street Cry has a hemare date with American Pharoah. It was also nice to see Crimson Reaper win a 8.25f allowance with a 109 SF. This 4yo son of New Approach keeps flirting with being good and maybe he will come around this year.

Claiming wise we lost two horses 3yo filly Angel of Verdun, a daughter of Pierro and 4yo filly Doomkitty a daughter of Graydar. Both won their claiming races at 17,500 and 125K respectively so I finally got them in an area they could win at! I tried to give Pierro a couple chances but he has thrown me poor horses. Doomkitty was an incredible disappointment as she won her first two career starts then didn't win again till this claiming race piling up a 12 race losing streak. This was her first appearance in a claim so she might be able to do well in SA races for her new owner. The 250 BP investment at the very least gives them a decent mare for breeding as the backend is Storm Cat x Seeking the Gold, and as I couldn't use her maybe someone else will get some breedings out of her.

In auction news Queen of the Web was sent to auction.

Horse entry starts to get tricky this week as I have to decide which horses to send to the GR Simster Residency classics (which usually end up being G2 or G3 calibur fields, I mean Ryan's 2nd string is still better than most of our 1st strings) and which to send on to other races. Which to double up on distances and which to try and get 12 furlongs. These decisions can make or break a horses 3yo season, so, no pressure or anything.

Breeding

No breedings or shares this weekend. I watched about 4 hours of horse racing on Saturday though taking in all the graded races at Aqueduct, Santa Anita and Keenland and studied some pedigrees, coming up with a few ideas that could be interesting.
Grade Winner
Grade Winner

Quote waremblem5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 2:09pm
Weekly Racing

Before going into a summary of this weeks racing I thought I would give an overview of how I pick races to run in. I usually enter horses one week after they have run unless they are stakes horse in which case I would look for future stakes races shortly after they have run. In general, I enter my horses in races they can win. What I mean by that is that I am not going to run a horse in allowance races finishing 7th time after time. If you can only win in claims you are going to be running in claims. Obviously pedigree has something to do with this and there is nothing worse than a top tier sired horse who is 2 for 16 and can't run faster than 87 in NW3Ls. If it is a filly I will retire that horse as a 4yo if I want to use it for breeding, a male usually gets dumped into claims unless it hails from a family I want to keep (from my mares). One constant consideration I have is that I can only use so many mares, so even now I have a fairly large number of retired 5yo fillies that may not even get bred this year. This has led me to be much more aggressive in sending horses to claims.

There is no question that SFs have effected where I place horses. I have noticed many well bred horses being dropped into claims now because even to win unrestricted allowance races you have to run over say 105. In the past a horse that ran high 90s to low 100s would be an occasional stakes horses and certainly a good allowance horse. Now I see many of these types, well bred for sure, being run in claims because that is the only place they can compete.

I had an excellent(and busy) week of daily racing (by the way one of the things I do really like about the new SIM is the daily racing so there is always something going on) going 7/17. The highlight was my Girolamo 3yo Galactic Overlord winning his 2nd straight allowance race at 9f on the dirt. This brings his record to 6-3-1-2 and he might end up being my entrant in the GR Simsters KY Derby. He is Girolamo x Storm Cat x Caerleon so the stamina influence of Caerleon might be strong enough to warrant 10 furlongs.

We had two slots open up this week after Rouge Noir was claimed in a 2K MC race. This was get claimed, win or be retired time for Rouge Noir because I am not going to carry a horse that can't win a 2-5K MC race. Rouge Noir finished 2nd and was claimed so the decision was taken out of my hands. I retired So Death Proof a G2 winning son of Peintre Celebre who earned $609,622 in his career. He had not won in a year and it was time to hang it up. I had been keeping him on the track because I really didn't know what I wanted to breed him to (and I wanted him to go over the 600K mark in earnings) but I feel he will match up well with More than Ready so I pulled the trigger on the retirement (though not yet on the breedings). So Death Proof is also a son of The White Witch so now seems a good time to get another runner from her line on the track.

Breedings

Nothing new to report but I wanted to touch again briefly on The White Witch. One of the things I like most in the SIM is creating bloodlines so to speak from foundation mares. The white Witch now creates a triple stakes winner foundation.

The White Witch > Elizabeth Gloriana > Grand Rite all stakes winners from the original dam to the granddaughter now. I have not bred The White Witch or Elizabeth Gloriana yet this year so I'll be looking to see where to go with them this year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>